Thursday, June 05, 2008

Going Away

Well, at least part of me gets to go away. Not really on vacation though!

I went to my Rheumatologist today for my follow-up (I go every three months now), and he wants to put me on an immune-suppressant drug. However, in order to go on the drug, I have to have a blood test. This is no ordinary-run-of-the-mill test. No siree bob. I had no idea that stuff like this went on. (A little deeper thought and it all makes sense, but carrying on . . . ) They have to test my blood for a specific enzyme before I go on the drug protocol. It turns out that if you are lacking said enzyme, you don't process the drug properly, which leads to bone marrow toxicity. YUM.

So. Said test. Ya, only performed by one doctor in the lower mainland, at one hospital, (where I was today), and only on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. What day is it today? That's right, it's Thursday. Good counting jack. That means I have to wait for next week. Why only M - W, you ask? Well that would be because my blood, once drawn, gets to fly to the Mayo Clinic for the actual blood test. If they draw it on a thursday or friday, by the time it's flown there and waits over the weekend, apparently the blood is bad, and they can't use it. So. Have to book another babysitter, because I am not taking two little kids that far to a hospital just to watch me have blood taken. NOPE. Not happening. Oh, and I was told to call a day in advance, because there is a special "kit" they have to have ready for me. Wonder what that means? How special can this blood test be? What is so different about it that they need a "kit"? WEIRD. But then again, that word just describes my whole medical history right there!

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM , Blogger Andrea with the Flipflops said...

Just popping in to say hi.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home