Friday, September 14, 2007

The Rheumatologist

(forgive me if this sounds scrambled, because I'm very tired but can't sleep - I've been in a lot of pain the last couple of days)

He says that from the last round of tests he has found some "clues" but no answers yet. I have to say, I kind of thought I might get some answers. But that was clearly wishful thinking. Lots of Autoimmune diseases can take over a year to diagnose. Part of it is waiting to get in to see different doctors.

Anyway. One of the blood tests came back positive, B27. As far as I can understand, it is a protein found on the surface of the white blood cell. 5-7% of the population can test positive for no reason. Otherwise it is indicative of an Autoimmune Disease, specifically Chrones, Behcets, Spindiloytis, and a few other things.

The x-ray tech thought that he saw the beginnings of sacroiliac inflammation, AKA Arthritis in my lower back. Dr. said it was probably in my upper back too, but only xrayed the lower. He's sending me for an MRI to determine to what extent the inflammation has progressed, and to get a better view of my spine and my organs. PRETTY.

So the Rheumatologist thinks it's either Chrones with Arthritis or Behcets. He said it's more likely Chrones simply because Behcet's is so uncommon. However, he wants me to go to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy, and to swallow the camera for views from both ends to diagnose. PRETTY.

For the last two days I have had more pain in my whole abdomen than I have in probably the last six months. And my back is pulsing it hurts so bad. But I have to carry on, because it's T's family birthday party here on Sunday and the house is a disaster. I just haven't had the energy to do anything lately. Never mind the strength.

So now I wait. For appointments with the Gastroenterologist, and an appointment for each of those tests. And for an MRI. It'll probably be a long couple of months.

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM , Blogger Andrea with the Flipflops said...

Well that is a "shitty" deal!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home